[Momonga-devel.en:00022] Re: Momonga Linux licence expression unification policy

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003, Shigeru Yamazaki wrote:

>      Use "Apache" for the following
>        Apache
>        Apache License
>        Apache Software License
>        Apache like
>        Apacheish
>        The PHP License (as of 3.0, see http://www.php.net/license/)

IIRC, Apache License is BSD plus a little:
 * 3. The end-user documentation included with the redistribution,
 *    if any, must include the following acknowledgment:
 *       "This product includes software developed by the
 *        Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/)."
 * 5. Products derived from this software may not be called "Apache",
 *    nor may "Apache" appear in their name, without prior written
 *    permission of the Apache Software Foundation.

Can't we call it BSD?

>      Use "BSD" or "Modified BSD" for the following

	Note: The advertising clause in the license appearing on
	BSD Unix files was officially rescinded(*1) by the
	Director of the Office of Technology Licensing of the
	University of California on July 22 1999. He states that
	clause 3 is "hereby deleted in its entirety."

	Note the new BSD license is thus equivalent to the
	MIT License, except for the no-endorsement final clause.

Then, we can use a single name for all the BSD packages.

>      Use "MIT" for the following
>        MIT
>        MIT/X Consortium
>        MIT/X Consortium License
>        X Consortium-like
>        X, distributable
>        XFree86

MIT is BSD minus no-endorsement clause:
	* Neither the name of the nor the names of its
	contributors may be used to endorse or promote
	products derived from this software without
	specific prior written permission.

But XFree86 License includes no-advertisement clause:
	Except as contained in this notice, the name of
	the XFree86 Project shall not be used in advertising
	or otherwise to promote the sale, use or other
	dealings in this Software without prior written
	authorization from the XFree86 Project.

Confusing. Can we call it BSD?

And, XFree86 contains other Licenses (http://www.xfree86.org/current/LICENSE2.html)
How can we deal with "Mainly A, partly B"-licenses?

"A, B and C"?
But, licenses like "Mainly (A, B or C), partly D"
or more nested licenses would cause problems.

It seems better to use "( ... )" and "&".
e.g. ( A, B or C ) & D & ( E or B ) & F