[Momonga-devel.en:00008] Re: International kernel patch

Hi,

Although I'm not familiar with licenses...,

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, YAMAZAKI Makoto wrote:
> ;The files removed:
> ;        cipher-blowfish.c cipher-dfc.c cipher-idea.c
> ;        cipher-mars.c cipher-serpent.c cipher-twofish.c
>
> All ciphers included in usagi are enabled. I'd like to include (and enable)
> all ciphers provided in original cryptoapi, but I don't know what
> the patent/license issue means...

Config.help says:

> Blowfish was designed by Bruce Schneier as a free replacement for DES and IDEA.
> The CryptoAPI implementation of Blowfish is released under the GPL.
>
> DFC is currently owned under patent WO9820643 in the French National
> Institute for Industrial Property.
> See also <http://lasecwww.epfl.ch/dfc.shtml>
>
> IDEA is patented in Switzerland, Europe, and the United States.
> It is free for any non-commercial use.
> See also <http://home.ecn.ab.ca/~jsavard/crypto/co0404.htm>
>
> The MARS algorithm is owned under patent by IBM, but they have a royal-
> ty free license for it.  The CryptoAPI impelementation is free for use
> by all. See also <http://www.research.ibm.com/security/mars.html> and
> <http://www.tivoli.com/news/press/pressreleases/en/2000/mars.html>
>
> Serpent is released under the public domain for use by anyone.
> CryptoAPI implementation is released under the GPL.
>
> Twofish is unpatented and is free to use.
> The CryptoAPI implementation is release to public domain.

Only for this info, I suppose you can use blowfish(GPL), mars(royalty-free),
serpent(GPL) and twofish(license-free). You can NOT use dfc and idea.
Well, according to my memory, the *USE* of idea is limited, not the
distribution, though. Hmm, it's too complicated for me...  ;-p

--
tamo